Tuesday, 13 July 2010

I HAD TO POST THIS

Hayao Miyazaki compares iPad use to masturbation

This little tidbit is not the focus of this entry so much as the following quote, posted in response by somebody on the forum I first saw it linked on. It sums up my thoughts on the matter far more eloquently than I could have put it. If the poster somehow sees this in the distant future I hope he will not be offended that I have quoted him without permission (emphasis added).
I kind of understand the train thing. I don't read, text message, or play games on the train or the bus. For me, that's reflection time. The scenery from the window is entertainment enough. It's like everyone else just wants to gorge hungrily on an endless stream of information swill rather than pausing to form their own thoughts, completely oblivious to the world around the 2-inch screen in their hands. Any lull in the information onslaught is an unbearable pain that has to be eased with some inane distraction like tweeting your opinion on the breakfast burrito you just ate or playing a couple rounds of the latest Bejeweled clone.

I hinted at this a little in my iPad rant video, but this gets to the real point much more directly.

Sorry to the people who have me friended on Facebook and thus had to see me post a link with the word "masturbation" in it twice in one day.

No comments: